[Python-ideas] History on proposals for Macros?

Matthew Rocklin mrocklin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 06:26:05 CEST 2015

> Is something stopping you from exploring this? Do you have specific ideas
> on how to improve on macropy?

Macropy is great but it requires an import-hook.  Many scientific users
work interactively.

> It sounds almost as if you would like to implement this but you want some
> kind of promise ahead of time that your work will be incorporated into the
> language. But that's just not how it works. When you want to explore a big
> idea like this, at some point you have to be willing to take the risk of
> writing code without a guaranteed pay off. Haoyi didn't ask for macropy to
> be incorporated into Python -- in fact he was surprised at the amount of
> uptake it got.

The hard problem isn't building macros, it's deciding whether or not macros
are good for Python.  I'm trying to start a discussion.  If this isn't the
right place for that then I apologize.

> You've received quite a bit of feedback (and, may I say, push back :-)
> from a small number of python-ideas veterans -- you can take this or leave
> it, but at this point I think you've gotten about as much mileage out of
> the list as can be expected.

My apologies.  I didn't realize that I was misusing this list.  I also
didn't realize that I was receiving push-back, the comments here seemed
friendly and encouraging.

Last year at SciPy the message I heard was "If you want to convince the
core team then come to python-ideas armed with motivating use cases."  Here
I am :)

Anyway, if there isn't any interest then I'll leave off.  Thank you all for
your time,
-Matt