[Python-ideas] Geo coordinates conversion in stdlib

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Mar 23 10:16:55 CET 2015

On 23.03.2015 07:08, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> My story for that day is that I needed to process geodata from
> Wikipedia to see the distribution over the Earth surface, so I thought
> that if I know the Python it is not a problem. It appeared that the
> problem is there, and the problem is recurring (last time I had GPS
> points). Python docs explain a lot about core OS concepts, but Python
> is not only a systems language. I'd say that it is now being replaced
> with Go for all system stuff, and more attempts are made to use is as
> a data processing language. But that is not possible if Python doesn't
> have a basic concepts of data representation from the Real Life (RL)
> (tm) in its stdlib.

Well, sorry Anatoly that we haven't already solved all your problems
for you ;-)

If you are really interested in a solution to your problem,
have a look at this large collection of tools for
doing GIS in Python:

https://pythongisresources.wordpress.com/categories/

More specifically, you're probably looking for one of these packages:

https://pythongisresources.wordpress.com/projections-2/

It's all just a pip install away.

BTW: If you expect the Python stdlib to make coffee, clean your house
and drive your kids to school, you're probably looking at the
wrong language - we only do batteries in the stdlib :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 23 2015)
2015-03-12: Released mxODBC 3.3.2 ...             http://egenix.com/go71

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/