[Python-ideas] Geo coordinates conversion in stdlib

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 23 00:13:57 CET 2015

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Andrew Barnert <
abarnert at yahoo.com.dmarc.invalid> wrote:

>  If you can't figure out the complexity of multiplying and divmodding by
> 60 twice, you can borrow its code, or just wrap it and delegate. That seems
> trivial enough to do in any project that needs it.

I"m not suggesting this is an stdlib candiate, but it'snot quite that
simple. With FP precision issues you can end up with results like:

1° 60′ 13″

which you don't want. I haven't checked to see if datetime deal siwththis
corectly but I'd guess it does :-)

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov