[Python-ideas] CPython needs to revamp/replace it's build system && Cross-compiling Python sucks

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Sat Mar 14 12:54:52 CET 2015

Devin Jeanpierre <jeanpierreda at ...> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Ryan Gonzalez <rymg19 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been trying to work on Issue 23496. And want to tear my hair out. I've
> > noticed a few problems with Python's current build system:
> >
> > - There is no separation of the host C compiler and the target C compiler.
> > When you give configure a C compiler for cross-compiling, make will happily
> > try to build Parser/pgen with the cross-compiler. And try to run the
> > generated executable. And fail. I know you can use `make touch` to get
> > around this, but it still sucks.
>
> I just want to echo this. I had really horrible problems trying to get
> Python working with emscripten a year ago, because of this and other
> problems. (Gave up.)  It turned out emscripten was a bigger cause for
> complaint, but, still.

Someone just needs to open an issue that we need 'make bootstrap'
or something similar.

Replacing autotools does not seem very realistic or desirable.
A couple of years ago I did LinuxFromScratch and autotools was
*by far* the most reliable and problem free build system.

I can't say the same about Cmake.

Stefan Krah