[Python-ideas] solving multi-core Python

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 13:20:10 CEST 2015

On 26 Jun 2015 05:37, "Trent Nelson" <trent at snakebite.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 05:26:59PM +0200, Sturla Molden wrote:
> > On 24/06/15 07:01, Eric Snow wrote:
> >
> > >In return, my question is, what is the level of effort to get fork+IPC
> > >to do what we want vs. subinterpreters?  Note that we need to
> > >accommodate Windows as more than an afterthought
> >
> > Windows is really the problem. The absence of fork() is especially
hurtful
> > for an interpreted language like Python, in my opinion.
>
>     UNIX is really the problem.  The absence of tiered interrupt request
>     levels, memory descriptor lists, I/O request packets (Irps), thread
>     agnostic I/O, non-paged kernel memory, non-overcommitted memory
>     management, universal page/buffer cache, better device driver
>     architecture and most importantly, a kernel architected around
>     waitable events, not processes, is harmful for efficiently solving
>     contemporary optimally with modern hardware.

Platforms are what they are :)

As a cross-platform, but still platform dependent, language runtime, we're
actually in a pretty good position to help foster some productive
competition between Windows and the *nix platforms.

However, we'll only be able to achieve that if we approach their wildly
divergent execution and development models with respect for their
demonstrated success and seek to learn from their respective strengths,
rather than dismissing them over their respective weaknesses :)

Cheers,
Nick.