[Python-ideas] Concurrency Modules

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 16:19:40 CEST 2015

On 25 July 2015 at 15:32, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Hope that makes sense and I'm not stretching things too far. Guess I should
>> make this into a talk for PyCon next year.
>
> Yes. And serve cake.
>
> On a more serious note, I'd like to see some throughput tests for
> process-pool, thread-pool, and asyncio on a single thread. That'd make
> a great PyCon talk; make sure it's videoed, as I'd likely be linking
> to it a lot.

Dave Beazley's "Python Concurrency from the Ground Up" talk at PyCon
US this year was almost exactly that:
https://us.pycon.org/2015/schedule/presentation/374/

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCs5OvhV9S4
Demo code: https://github.com/dabeaz/concurrencylive

There's a direct causal link between that talk and our renewed
interest in getting subinterpreters up to a point where they can offer
most of the low overhead of interpreter threads with most of the
memory safety of operating system level processes :)

Cheers,
Nick.