[Python-ideas] Learning from the shell in supporting asyncio background calls

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jul 10 13:51:37 CEST 2015

As I wrote on the issue, I'm -1 on this proposal. Not only does this API
encourage beginners to ignore the essential difference between synchronous
functions meant to run in a thread (using synchronous I/O and pre-emptive
CPU scheduling) and asyncio coroutines/tasks (which use overlapped I/O and
require explicit scheduling), it also encourages avoiding the "await"
primitive (formerly "yield from") in favor of a function call which cannot
be used from within a coroutine/task.

This particular spelling moreover introduces a "similarity" between
foreground and background tasks that doesn't actually exist.

The example suggests that this should really be a pair of convenience
functions in collections.futures, as it does not make any use of asyncio.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)