[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] PEP 493: Redistributor guidance for Python 2.7 HTTPS

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jul 7 10:45:53 CEST 2015

I do see all subjects in python-ideas, but I often mute unproductive
threads. I also take my cues from the responses of others. I also spend an
inordinate amount skimming email in general, and I don't expect others to
do so (in fact, I wish some folks wouldn't spend so much time writing long
emails -- or would spend more time making them shorter :-).

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 4:10 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>
wrote:

> Cross-posted to redirect discussion.  Replies directed to Python-Ideas.
>
> Erik Bray writes on Python-Dev:
>  > On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 6:21 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
> wrote:
>  > > On Mon, 6 Jul 2015 14:22:46 +1000, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>  > >>
>  > >> The main change from the last version discussed on python-ideas
>  > >
>  > > Was it discussed there? That list has become totally useless, I've
>  > > stopped following it.
>  >
>  > Considering that a useful discussion of a useful PEP occurred there
>  > (not to mention other occasionally useful discussions) I'd say that
>  > such a value judgment is not only unnecessary but also inaccurate.
>
> As you point out, the words "totally" and "useless" were unnecessary
> and inaccurate respectively.
>
> However, the gist of his post, that the S/N on Python-Ideas has become
> substantially lower in the last few months, seems accurate to me.  At
> least two recent threads could have been continued on Python-List,
> where they would have benefited a lot more users, and they didn't seem
> profitable on Python-Ideas since it was quite evident that Those Who
> Know About Python were adamantly opposed to the idea as discussed in
> the thread, while the proponent kept pushing on that brick wall rather
> than seeking a way around it.
>
> I myself continue to follow Python-Ideas, Nick and other committers
> are posting here daily, and even Guido manages to pop up occasionally,
> so that may be no problem (or even a good thing if it results in
> educating and inviting new committers in the long run).  But I think
> it's worth considering whether it we should cultivate a bit more
> discipline here.
>
> Again, discussion on Python-Ideas, please.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)