[Python-ideas] Should iPython Notebook replace Idle

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 22:16:32 CEST 2015

> On Jul 4, 2015, at 12:32, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Todd <toddrjen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> More out-there, but it probably isn't completely impossible for python to
>> provide some sort of native notebook-like interface, or at least some sort
>> of interface that makes it convenient for third parties to make such
>> notebook interfaces.
>
> It will not be possible because of this:
>
> https://jupyter.org
>
> Having Jupyter in the Python standard library would screw over the Julia
> and R users.

Well they still have to install CPython to install Jupyter
and even Python3 if they want multi-user... so I’m not sure that would “screw”
them. (or I don’t get why you mean by screw them).

> Also, more extensive Python distros like Anaconda and Enthought Canopy
> include IPython/Jupyter by default. I think it is more important to start
> to direct users to select these than to include Jupyter in the standard
> lib. This is particularly important because of the growing number of
> essential packages that are not in the standard lib (e.g. NumPy, Cython,
> Numba, matplotlib, wxPython, Twisted, pymq, Sqalchemy, etc.) and the
> complex package dependencies. Another question is whether python.org should
> provide links to these installers, or even maintain a similar Python stack
> with a package manager (I am not sure if pip can handle all the
> complexities sufficient).

One possible, simpler thing would be to ship a minimal python kernel [1]
that ‘only’ requires PyZMQ.

Though, now that pip “Just works"[2], I ‘m not sure it is worth either.

[2]: offer subject to conditions
[1]: https://github.com/dsblank/simple_kernel/blob/master/simple_kernel.py <https://github.com/dsblank/simple_kernel/blob/master/simple_kernel.py>

# simple_kernel.py
# by Doug Blank <doug.blank at gmail.com>
#
# This sample kernel is meant to be able to demonstrate using zmq for
# implementing a language backend (called a kernel) for IPython. It is
# written in the most straightforward manner so that it can be easily
# translated into other programming languages. It doesn't use any code
# from IPython, but only standard Python libraries and zmq.
#
# It is also designed to be able to run, showing the details of the
# message handling system.