[Python-ideas] PEP 484 (Type Hints) -- first draft round

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jan 20 00:44:11 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Yann Kaiser <kaiser.yann at gmail.com> wrote:

> The :: idea otherwise brings advantages to all as outlined before, so I'm
> a bit frustrated to see it dismissed on mere feeling.

I'm sure I can explain rationally why "::" is a bad idea given Python's
historical approach to syntax, but I'm not sure that it would sway you, so
I'm saving both of us time by just saying it's unPythonic. With that in
mind, there is nothing in the current proposal that prevents "::" from
being introduced in 3.6 -- the proposal doesn't change any syntax, so if
"::" is possible now, it will still be possible in 3.6. So you have until
Python 3.6 to implement it. PEP 484 will be provisional, so if we really
liked "::" better by that time we can just withdraw PEP 484 at that time.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)