[Python-ideas] Better comand line version of python -c

Ed Kellett edk141 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 23:00:52 CET 2015

On Fri Jan 09 2015 at 8:24:43 AM Andrew Barnert <abarnert at yahoo.com> wrote:

Sorry about leaving it so long to reply to this.

It's occurred to me that using a daemon for the purpose of `_` is almost
useless. One of the things that's been discussed is processing by
iterators, which is obviously a good thing because it lets you process
files that are much larger than your system memory, but an iterator that's
already been iterated is no use as _. Either I'm missing something
fundamental, or there's simply nothing we can do about this: caching the
iterated results for later use would be non-trivial to get right, and use
impossibly large amounts of memory.

I still think this idea deserves some serious thought, but I think this
particular feature just can't work.

Ed Kellett