[Python-ideas] pep 397

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 15:47:46 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 1:31 AM, Wolfgang Maier
<wolfgang.maier at biologie.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> What would be good is if the launcher had an additional flag telling it to
> not actually start python, but just report the path to it, something like:
>
> $ py --dry-run my_script
>
> C:\Python34\python.exe

Ooh that would be a nice feature. I'd be inclined to call it --query
rather than --dry-run, but that's just bike-shedding. Any other
programs could make use of this feature too - maybe they want to run a
wrapper that ultimately invokes some script, so the wrapper gets
written to be 2.7 and 3.3+ compatible, and then design it to be run
using the target script's interpreter.

ChrisA