[Python-ideas] Encouraging more use of the Python wiki

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jan 6 23:01:19 CET 2015

On 06.01.2015 20:44, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>>
>>> it is how to deal with the entire wiki gradually getting out of date due
>>> to page "owners" losing interest or topics becoming irrelevant.
>>

>> Even if you can recruit lots of gardeners, you need a few master gardeners
>> to lay things out (define the structure of the garden). Otherwise you wind
>> up with just a bag of pages. Pushing the gardening metaphor to its limit:
>> no planning means the lettuce is always shaded by the corn.
>>

> Nice one, and agreed. I don't see anyone with a serious wish to be a master
> gardener for wiki.python.org in this sense though. :-( Perhaps we should
> advertise the position? It's a volunteer role, but will require a lot of
> motivation. Ideally the master gardener team should be allowed to select
> the tool suite and be given permission to switch to a new suite pretty
> aggressively. The team should also be responsible for deciding on the
> policy for edit access. This seems more workable than having an open-ended
> discussion on python-ideas.

Such discussions should really happen on pydotorg-www where
that team already works. We do have several people who maintain pages
or page sets on the wiki, but more editorial help is always welcome.

We need people who have experience in technical writing and
a passion to maintain informational resources.

FWIW: A change of tools won't magically give us better content.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 06 2015)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/