[Python-ideas] Show deprecation warnings in the interactive interpreter

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Feb 27 03:19:55 CET 2015

Nathaniel Smith writes:
 > On Feb 26, 2015 9:33 AM, "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
 > > On 2/26/2015 11:15 AM, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:

 > >> Your argument seems to boil down to "no-one uses the prompt", so why not
 > >> just get rid of it?

 > > [Hardly.]

 > [I]f this is not an accurate summary of what you're trying to
 > argue, then I honestly have no idea what you are trying to argue.

I'm surprised at "no idea".  He's been clear throughout that because
there are *many* alternative interactive interfaces besides the
CPython interpreter itself, to be truly effective the warnings need to
be propagated to those, and it's not automatic because most of them
don't use the interactive interpreter.  IIUC, at least in IDLE it's
already possible to get them with some fiddling.  Since it's debatable
how important this is to interactive prompt users (especially those on
POSIX systems), he thinks that to be effective it requires much more
to change than just the CPython interpreter, and since it may annoy
more users than would be helped, he doesn't seem to think the change
is justified.

I think personally I tend toward the side that the proposed warning
display is a good idea even if of limited benefit, it's not likely to
bother too many users, and it can be extended as desired to the
alternative interactive UIs.  But that doesn't mean I don't understand
his point of view.