[Python-ideas] Show deprecation warnings in the interactive interpreter

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Feb 26 02:23:54 CET 2015

On 2/25/2015 5:04 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> On 2/25/2015 3:39 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
>>>
>>> Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com>

>> I don't really get the point.  It seems to me that the idea is to have
>> warnings optionally on during development, always off during production.
>> Most development, especially of 'permanent' code, does not take place at the
>> interactive prompt.
>
> This reasoning seems backwards to me. It doesn't matter whether there
> is also code being developed non-interactively; the question is, for
> that code which *is* developed interactively, should warnings be
> visible by default.

I develop interactively by editing a bit, running, ......, with
occasional use of the Idle prompt after running.

> BTW, the people around me seem to be developing possibly a majority of
> their code these days by starting out iteratively refining stuff using
> the ipython notebook as a REPL.

You comment actually supports the more important part of my post, which
you snipped.  An ipython notebook, like Idle, is not the interactive
interpreter.  It would have to be changed independently, as would Idle.
  Neither has to wait for an 'official' change.  Idle would not be
changed by a change only to the official interactive interpreter.  I
suspect that the same would also be true of ipython, but I am not
familiar with its implementation as to how it actually runs code entered
by users.

--
Terry Jan Reedy