[Python-ideas] Accessible tools

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 23:07:13 CET 2015

On Feb 18, 2015, at 11:42, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 2/18/2015 12:30 PM, Bryan Duarte wrote:
>
>> Here are the tools I have tried already  ... Idle ...
>> it would be nice to have something like Idle made accessible.
>
> Idle uses tkinter, the interface to the tcl tk gui system.  I have read that tk is not designed for accessibility.

IIRC, accessibility was one of the key items for Tcl/Tk 8.5, but nobody ended up championing it (it didn't even get a TIP, their equivalent of a PEP), so it got bumped to the unspecified future, where it's remained. So I'm guessing it has slim to no chance of happening before the next 8.5-style Tk revamp, and considering that it was 9 years between 8.0 (the last revamp) and 8.5 and another 5 years between 8.5 and 8.6, that could be a very long way off.