[Python-ideas] Adding ziplib

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 22:04:16 CET 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 10:20 PM, Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org>
wrote:

> * Ryan Gonzalez <rymg19 at gmail.com> [2015-02-16 19:00:33 -0600]:
> > On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Andrew Barnert <abarnert at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I love the idea (I've had to write my own custom wrapper around a
> subset
> > > of functionality for zip and tgz a few times, and I don't remember
> enjoying
> > > it...), and I especially like the idea of starting with the ABCs (which
> > > would hopefully encourage all those people writing cpio and 7z and
> whatever
> > > parsers to conform to the same API, even if they do so by wrapping LGPL
> > > libs like libarchive or even subprocessing out to command-line tools).
> > >
> > > But why "ziplib"? Why not something generic like "archive" that doesn't
> > > sound like it's specific to ZIP files?
> > >

> > This occurred to me a few moments ago. How about arclib?
>
> To me, that sounds like a library to handle ARC files:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARC_(file_format)

Darn...

Does anybody even use that format anymore?

> Florian
>
> --
> http://www.the-compiler.org | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)
>    GPG: 916E B0C8 FD55 A072 | http://the-compiler.org/pubkey.asc
>          I love long mails! | http://email.is-not-s.ms/

Ryan
If anybody ever asks me why I prefer C++ to C, my answer will be simple:
"It's becauseslejfp23(@#Q*(E*EIdc-SEGFAULT. Wait, I don't think that was
nul-terminated."
Personal reality distortion fields are immune to contradictory evidence. -
srean
Check out my website: http://kirbyfan64.github.io/