[Python-ideas] Gettext syntax (was Re: Allow "assigning" to ...)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Feb 12 14:09:10 CET 2015

On 12.02.2015 12:41, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

>> On 12 Feb 2015, at 10:00, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 12.02.2015 04:33, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>> A possible solution would be to give 3.x str a __pos__ or __neg__ method, so +'python' or -'python'
>>> would mean the translation of 'python' (the snake).  This would be even *less* intrusive and easier
>>> to write than _('python').
>>
>> Doesn't read well:
>>
>> label = +'I like' + +'Python'
>>
>> and this is even worse, IMO:
>>
>> label = -'I like' + -'Python'
>>

>> I think the proper way of doing this would be to add a string
>> literal modifier like we have with r'' for raw strings,
>> e.g. i'Internationalized String’.
>
> As far as I know every other language as well as all i18n-related tools use _(..) to mark translatable strings. Changing Python from using that same standard (as most, if not all i18n-supporting Python software does) to something sounds like a huge step backwards.

Depends on how you look at it, I guess :-)

_(...) is a kludge which was invented because languages don't address
the need at the language level. i"want this translated" would be such
language level syntax.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 12 2015)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/