[Python-ideas] More "ensure*" packages

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Aug 14 16:17:44 CEST 2015

On 14.08.2015 15:44, Donald Stufft wrote:

> On August 14, 2015 at 7:22:56 AM, M.-A. Lemburg (mal at egenix.com) wrote:
>>
>> requests is already installed as part of pip, along with a whole
>> set of other packages (but not exposed at the top-level), so
>> moving it to its own ensure package wouldn't really change much
>> in terms of approach.
>

> This isn’t really true except in a very abstract sense. Yes, requests exists because of pip, but it exists inside of pip (``import pip._vendor.requests``) not anywhere where normal people should be importing it.

Right. What I'm saying is that requests is already installed,
so moving it from inside pip to top-level isn't much of a
change in terms of "do we want requests to be installed via
ensure or not".

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 14 2015)
>>> mxODBC Plone/Zope Database Adapter ...       http://zope.egenix.com/
2015-08-12: Released mxODBC 3.3.4 ...             http://egenix.com/go80
2015-08-22: FrOSCon 2015 ...                                8 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/