[Python-ideas] Use the plus operator to concatenate iterators

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Aug 5 18:48:11 CEST 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze at mail.de> wrote:

> 60% of the thread are about the ominous * operator on lists. << Seriously?
> The thread started with a simple and useful idea; not with some rarely used
> feature.
> 35% of the thread are about some internal implementation issues. <<< Maybe
> not easy but I am certain you will sort that out.

What seems an internal implementation issue to you is a philosophical issue
to others. You dismiss it at your peril (i.e. a waste of your time). Binary
operators in Python are always implemented by letting one or the other
argument provide the implementation, never by having the language pick an
implementation (not even a default implementation). What you see in the C
code that might seem to contradict this is either an optimization or an
ancient artifact, not to be copied.

5% about its usefulness and simplicity. <<< I stick to that.

Good luck. I'm checking out of this thread until a PEP is deemed ready for
review.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)