[Python-ideas] Python 3.9.9 - The 'I Have A Dream' Version

Simon Kennedy sffjunkie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:35:23 CEST 2015

On Wednesday, 15 April 2015 13:28:49 UTC+1, Terry Reedy wrote:

> I appreciate your desire to write up a master plan of things you would
> like to see done.

If the initial post reads like I think what I've written is perfect and
should be adopted wholesale then I apologise.

Perhaps my 40+ years should have dampened by belief that if you just aim
for a little bit better you might get there but if you try for the
improbable you might get a fair bit further.

I also thought that the version number of 3.9.9 would be enough of a hint
that what's outlined is very long range / speculative and may never occur
(I could have used 4.0 but that should probably never happen.). But I also
hoped it would generate some ideas.

I have faith that Guido and the other core devs know much better than me,
after all unlike me they do it as a profession, and would only be a
proponent for things which actually work. If they were to run with even the
slightest iota of one of the ideas I would be happy.

> However, if presented as a package deal, it will be
> rejected as it includes compatibility breaks that will not happen.

Indeed, I understand that things like claiming all tools / packages must
start with py is a non starter as there is hell of a lot of code out there
already using that prefix but it's a dream I have.

And regarding the 'lib' suffix idea, that was prompted by trying to
understand what the hell the suffix actually gets you (if you put lib at
the end of some why not put it the end of all, abd why not put a 'pystdlib'
prefix on just to make sure) and by 'disallowing' it, hopefully it would
stop people using it in the future.

> The
> things that are at least somewhat possible will comprise multiple peps.
>

> --
> Terry Jan Reedy

But which, if any? Are they really any good? Would anybody want to
implement them? I don't know. They feel right to me but they could all be
complete ordure.

Regards
Simon