[Python-ideas] Top 10 Python modules that need a redesign Was: Geo coordinates conversion in stdlib

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 23:19:17 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM, <random832 at fastmail.us> wrote:

> In my opinion all codes accepted by C11 *should* be supported by python;
> its present failure to do so is a wart. Any new work to address this
> issue should be in the form of a pure python strftime function rather
> than an effort to document every platform's idiosyncracies.

An issue [1] to implement that was open almost 7 years ago and seen little
progress since then.  The problem is that there is no reliable
cross-platform method to access locale information that stftime needs.  One
could try to do something with nl_langinfo(), but that is a pre-Unicode
interface that assumes one global locale, so modern platforms have extended
it in various incompatible ways. Note that strftime itself assumes one
global locale and that's another reason to switch to something more modern.

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue3173