[Python-ideas] Adding iOS/Android support to Python

Russell Keith-Magee russell at keith-magee.com
Tue Oct 28 03:00:53 CET 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think both iOS and Android are well and truly established enough now
> > as platforms to be worth targeting directly.
>
> Does Apple allow Python apps in AppStore now? I thought they had a ban on
> anything not written in Objective-C or Swift?

Hi Sturla,

That restriction was lifted a while back. Apple now allows apps that embed
other languages, with some restrictions about the source of the scripts
being run - for example, your app must contain all the scripts it's going
to use, you can't download new scripts from the web.

Evidence of this is Kivy - there are a number of apps written using Kivy on
the App Store:

https://github.com/kivy/kivy/wiki/List-of-Kivy-Projects

Of course, there's no guarantee this won't change back in the future.
Working at the whims and fancies of the AppStore T&C's will always be a
risk. :-)

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)