[Python-ideas] Adding iOS/Android support to Python

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 12:07:34 CET 2014

On 26 October 2014 09:36, Russell Keith-Magee <russell at keith-magee.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think both iOS and Android are well and truly established enough now
>> as platforms to be worth targeting directly. For the CI problem, it
>> may be worth approaching Xamarin, as setting up the infrastructure for
>> doing that ourselves looks like a formidable engineering challenge we
>> don't currently have the relevant skillsets to provide.
>
> Is this said in the context of "we (Python) have an existing relationship
> with Xamarin, and we should lean on those contacts", or "we should really
> develop a relationship with Xamarin"?

The latter - although as Antoine noted, we *do* have some nominally
supported platforms that don't have buildbots. That configuration just
means that *other* core devs aren't likely to be too worried about
breaking the platform - more of the burden will fall back on the folks
actually keeping that platform running.

However, it did occur to me that running in the iOS and Android
simulators should be feasible on a normal x86_64 system, assuming you
can figure out a way to run the regression test suite without a normal
console.

Cheers,
Nick.