[Python-ideas] Fwd: Adding iOS/Android support to Python

Russell Keith-Magee russell at keith-magee.com
Sun Oct 26 01:32:08 CEST 2014

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 9:27 PM, Hernan Grecco <hgrecco at gmail.com> wrote:

> El oct 24, 2014 11:22 PM, "Russell Keith-Magee" <russell at keith-magee.com>
> escribió:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > tl;dr - I'd like to add iOS and Android to the list of platforms that
> Python supports out-of-the-box, and I'm looking for guidance on the way
> forward (and assistance, if anyone is keen).
>
> Have you looked a QPython? They provide Python 2 and 3 consoles in
> android. I am not sure how large is the stdlib support, I have  only tried
> small scripts and it works quite nicely.

Yes, I've tried it, but I'm in a similar boat in that I didn't exhaustively
exercise the full stdlib. However, iOS and Android are both Posix. I'm sure
*many* of the extension modules - especially the ones that are purely
data-based, like bz2 - could be compiled. However anything with a UI
element (like tkinter) doesn't make any sense.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)