[Python-ideas] Adding iOS/Android support to Python

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 09:36:30 CEST 2014

On Oct 25, 2014 4:22 AM, "Russell Keith-Magee" <russell at keith-magee.com>
wrote:
>  3) Disabling certain modules on mobile platforms. Supporting modules
like linuxaudiodev, ossaudiodev, readline, curses, idle and tkinter on
mobile platforms doesn't make much sense; modules likes bsddb and bz2 are
difficult to support due to library dependencies; and the need for modules
like multiprocessing is arguable (and difficult to support on mobile). Even
providing a Python executable/shell is arguable for these platforms.

I would definitely be extremely interested in a python shell in android.
One thing I feel are lacking on android are good advanced mathematical
tools and and python shell with appropriate libraries could make a very
powerful open-source tool for that.  There have been some attempts at that
already.

I would also differentiate android and iOs more.  Android seems to be
betting on multi-core performance while iOs seems to be betting on
single-chore performance. So while multiprocessing may not make much sense
on iOs, I think it may be more sense on Android, especially if they move
from 4 to 8 cores.

Similarly, ultimately android is Linux-based, so things like readline
should work, and it seems others have been able to get it to work, and bz2
seems to work fine on third-party android file managers.