[Python-ideas] Python Numbers as Human Concept Decimal System

Alexander Heger python at 2sn.net
Sun Mar 9 07:21:07 CET 2014

> I think that there are very few non-programmer, numerically-naive, TI-89
> users working with Python,

students.

For numerical applications there is Numpy.

> and I think that shaping Python specifically
> for them is a mistake. It is completely appropriate to build an
> interactive calculator using Decimals aimed at the TI-89-using audience,
> and I applaud that. But that's an application written in Python, not
> Python itself.

The decimal module really should only be used for financial
applications; there should be a separate high-precision float type.

Another note on the 'd' notation - this might be confused with the
FORTRAN 'd' for double precision number.  Would you write, 1.2e3d or
1.2d3?

-Alexander