[Python-ideas] A python bridge between versions

ian o ian.team.python at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 04:09:02 CET 2014

> And we don't actually mind all that much if applications don't migrate
> in the near term - Python 2 will have commercial support available
> well past 2020. (The developers of *those applications* might mind,
> though, just as anyone maintaining Python 2.4 compatibility for the
> benefit of RHEL/CentOS 5 typically isn't happy about it)
>

> Your response is most dissapointing, and I would hope does not represent
the community overall.

We have 3 teams working server systems currently with python as the
implementation model.  All work is currently in python 2.x and with a
solution to this the work could immediately move to 3.x.

However, you state that our situation, and that of the other 60% of python
programmers as at end January 2014 who are constrained from using python 3
by python 2 dependencies:  "we don't mind about those developers"

And of course the dependent library module developers will not update the
library, because 'no one out there uses python 3.x'.   And from your
perspective this is simply not of any interest.

No wonder Tiobe index shows python dropping and in the words of those
trying to persuade me to move the projects to another language 'python 3.x'
came out 5 years ago and we still cannot move to it, this is going no where.

I would like to still have the developers work in python, and to do that
there needs to be a path to python 3.  I also would prefer to be in python
3 anyway.  But even if a workable solution is there, your answer is who
cares about 60% of developers anyway!