[Python-ideas] RFC: bytestring as a str representation [was: a new bytestring type?]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Jan 9 09:40:04 CET 2014

Greg Ewing writes:

 > If I understand correctly, your intention is that
 > 61 62 63 FF in this representation would simply be
 > a more compact version of 0061 0062 0063 DCFF,
 > with exactly the same semantics.

Pretty much so.  There remain some ambiguities and questions about
efficient implementability in my mind.

 > If that's right, then maybe something like "compressed
 > surrogateescape" or "8-bit surrogateescape" would be
 > a better name for it?

Maybe.  Thanks for the suggestion!

However, as I mentioned already I'm going to back off on this for a
while, because in the process of analyzing Inada-san's use case I
realized that by itself it doesn't save much besides space, and isn't
pretty too boot.