[Python-ideas] Make it optional

Hernan Grecco hernan.grecco at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 16:53:46 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think that final decision whatever package version is prerelease or not
> should be made by package maintainer, and (s)he should have a final
> judgement over this fact. But inventors of prerelease feature didn't even
> think that people may not want and still don't want this features.

But package maintainers have the final judgement!  A package is NOT a
pre-release if it has a PEP 440 compliant version number without any
pre-release or development segment. A simple rule.

The problem is how to deal with old packages with non compliant versions
which now are not get installed by default. I would say:
- If you are the maintainer of the legacy package, just release a new
version with a compliant version.
- If you are the maintainer of a project that needs this legacy package,
just adjust your requirements file as described in [0]

The versioning scheme proposed in PEP440 has a lot of advantages (which are
described in the PEP). But it comes with some rules that we need to comply.

cheers,

Hernán

[0] http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/logic.html#pre-release-versions