[Python-ideas] Type Hinting - Performance booster ?

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 02:54:02 CET 2014

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> I don't see how that's optimistic. Most workloads are intrinsically
> serial, not parallel.

Computer graphics is intrinsically data-parallel, hence the GPU. A computer
with a 128 core CPU would have no use for a GPU. Taking more market shared
from Nvidia and AMD would be one reason why Intel might want to produce
such a chip. It would also remove the need for dedicated video RAM and
special vertex buffer objects, and thus simplify the coding of 3D graphics.

> Sure, some specific workloads in scientific computing may benefit -
> but if I understand correctly you can already release the GIL using
> Cython, and perhaps soon using Numba.

You can do this under Numba too.

Sturla