[Python-ideas] Indentation, again: Problems with moving and combining code across editors.

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Aug 30 10:02:40 CEST 2014

Milind Khadilkar <zedobject at gmail.com>
writes:

> The problem with ' ' is that a sequence of ' 's can't easily be
> counted, especially on feature rich editors.

You have a “feature rich” editor which is unable to count a sequence of
characters? I don't think that qualifies as “feature rich” for purposes
of programming.

Also, your proposal then only seems to be valid if you have an editor
which:

* is capable of the highly specific task of “convert Python code between
  ‘ ’ for indentation and ‘.’ for indentation”; but

* is so feature-poor that it *is not* capable of the generally-useful
  task “count a sequence of characters”.

I think that's a text editor so bizarre we can discount it as irrelevant
until someone is demonstrated to be using it seriously and can't be
convinced to use a better editor.

--
 \     “If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the |
  `\        mirror, because I bet that's what REALLY throws you into a |