[Python-ideas] Optional static typing -- late to the party

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Aug 20 19:42:55 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 10:23 AM, David Mertz <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:

> I have to say that I find the capabilities in PyContracts--which are
> absent currently in mypy--to be very compelling.  If we are going to add
> encouragement to use type annotations, adding richer types seems extremely
> worthwhile.

It's easy to check any expressible condition at runtime, but this is not
the case ahead of time as with a static analysis tool or linter. It'd be
great to have this sort of capability in mypy, but what you're asking for
is at the fringes of current research and will not be practical to add to
Python any time soon.

-bob