[Python-ideas] strptime without second argument as an inverse to __str__

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 18:46:40 CEST 2014

On Aug 8, 2014, at 8:17, Akira Li <4kir4.1i at gmail.com> wrote:

> It *is* obvious that the rfc is more complex than the str method e.g.,
> the rfc supports 'T', 'Z' (default str doesn't generate them as far as I
> know).

This is the only point that matters here to me. If you're no longer disagreeing with it, I have no interest in continuing to argue, and I doubt anyone else has any interest in reading it.

So, let me summarize and see if you have anything substantive to disagree with:

People want a function to reverse __str__, possibly also handling space as a separator. Such a function is trivial to write. If it's not a fully compliant RFC 3339 parser, that's fine, and it will be useful for it's intended goal, as long as it isn't called fromrfc3339string (which no one has suggested anyway, although someone did suggest fromisostring, which is what started the whole RFC 3339 side track--obviously that name shouldn't be used either).