[Python-ideas] py launcher for Linux?

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Wed Apr 16 12:25:51 CEST 2014

On 04/15/2014 10:12 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Something that came up during PyCon was the idea of a "py" script that
> brought "Python Launcher for Windows" explicit version dispatch to Linux.
>
> Anyone care to try their hand at writing such a script?

I meant to bring this up at the PyCon sprints. On Windows, the launcher
finds the various versions of Python by looking in the registry. How is
a Linux version supposed to find what versions of Python are installed?

I have a pristine 2.7 in /usr/local/bin and the system python 2.7 in
/usr/bin. I've also seen /opt/bin used, and other places deliberately
not on PATH. How would a launcher find these, let alone decide which one
to use?

I'll be around the sprints for a very short time this morning, if anyone
wants to discuss it.

Eric.