[Python-ideas] No implicit variable declarations

Markus Unterwaditzer markus at unterwaditzer.net
Sat Apr 12 20:53:40 CEST 2014

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 06:14:04PM +0000, James Nelson wrote:
> I don't believe that having var and implicit keywords would make the
> language less flexible -- they are completely optional, remember. If you
> omit "implicit none" from the beginning of your program you can write your
> program like you do now, implicit variable declarations and all.

At which scope should this statement operate? Should it only be allowed at the
top of a module (like __future__ imports), or should it operate on a
per-function basis? Doing this for the whole process, as i think your usage of
the term "program" implies, sounds like a very bad idea to me.

Anyway, i think that this idea just doesn't "fit" Python, and "implicit none"
kind-of reminds me of the strict mode in Javascript. But other than in
Javascript, i don't think Python actually *needs* this. As said, linters cover
these problems for me.

-- Markus