[Python-ideas] Gzip and zip extra field

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 14:17:15 CET 2013

17.11.13 02:19, Andrew Barnert написав(ла):
> Are any of the gzip standard extra fields in common usage today? I tried lookup up the URLs listed in the definitions; one is a 404 page and another is just an image with links to someone's Facebook and similar personal pages.

dictzip and BGZF use gzip format with different random access
extensions. Both are very popular in their domains.

> As for the zip extra fields, at least some of them seem like they're only useful if the zip module actually interprets them. For example, given a zip64, if zipfile can read/extract a 5GB file directly, you have no need to look at the Zip64 extra info directly; if it can't do so, you won't get any useful benefit out of looking at the extra info. Other fields might be useful for building a more powerful wrapper module around zipfile--e.g., you could substitute the native NTFS or POSIX timestamps in the extra info for the possibly-less-accurate normal zip timestamps.

In the first place high-level support of extra field will simplify ZIP64
support in zipfile (and will made it less buggy). Also it will help with
support of UTF-8 filenames and extended file attributes.