[Python-ideas] requests in the stdlib?

Senthil Kumaran senthil at uthcode.com
Mon Nov 4 16:14:33 CET 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 6:51 AM, Matěj Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:

> Yesterday after fighting for hours with urllib2 (and GitHub API)
> and failing, I have succeeded with requests in five minutes.

That was the bug, which can be fixed. Thanks for raising the bug

> Despite how much I dislike using libraries outside of the stdlib
> (yes, unittest is the way to go, please, no nosetests and
> py.test for me), I am now persuaded that requests API is the
> best thing since ... I don't know, API of feedparser (RIP, Aaron
> Swartz)?
>
> So, I guess, somebody had to already suggest pulling requests
> into stdlib. Could somebody here point me to the resulting
> discussion, please?

I think, the plan is to our http handling library enhanced with the
request's style API.
It is discussed at python-dev last year and at pycon.
But it still will need to bring in fixes which requests has been doing for
handing latest issues.

--
Senthil