[Python-ideas] PEP 426, YAML in the stdlib and implementation discovery

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri May 31 22:30:49 CEST 2013

On 31.05.2013 20:13, Philipp A. wrote:
> 2013/5/31 Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk>
>> The PEP defines the metadata format as a Python dictionary - the serialising
>> of metadata to a specific file format seems a secondary consideration. It's
>> quite possible that some of the packaging tools that use the new metadata
>> will support different serialisation mechanisms, perhaps including YAML,
>> but
>> ISTM that having YAML in the stdlib is orthogonal to the PEP.
>>

> but in the future, package metadata won’t be specified in the setup.py
> anymore, so we need a metadata file (like setup.cfg would have been for
> distutils2). and we write those per hand. the involved metadata corresponds
> exactly to the one mentioned here, so what do you think that the format of
> that metadata file will be?

Just as data point:

PEP 426 explicitly says
"It is expected that these metadata files will be generated by build
tools based on other input formats (such as setup.py) rather than
being edited by hand."

Not sure where you got the idea from that anyone would write the JSON
files by hand. The data will be extracted from the things you specify
in setup.py at sdist or wheel build time and put into the JSON files.

So that particular use case is not very likely to happen.
That's not to say there aren't any use cases, it's just not going
to be this one :-).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 31 2013)
2013-07-01: EuroPython 2013, Florence, Italy ...           31 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/