[Python-ideas] PEP 426, YAML in the stdlib and implementation discovery

Bruce Leban bruce at leapyear.org
Fri May 31 19:02:53 CEST 2013

On May 31, 2013 9:46 AM, "Philipp A." <flying-sheep at web.de> wrote:

> I’m no big fan of JSON, because it’s so strict and comparatively verbose
compared with YAML. I just think YAML is more pythonic, and a better choice
for any kind of human-written data format.

Considering json values are Python literals and yaml isn't I'd say you have
the first part backwards. And as far as human-written data goes strictness
helps prevent errors.

But it doesn't have to be a competition. If there's value in having a
standard yaml parser or value in accepting yaml in specific cases that
value should stand by itself.

--- Bruce
(from my phone)