[Python-ideas] sqlite3

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu May 16 16:44:56 CEST 2013

On 16.05.2013 15:41, Henshaw, Andy wrote:
> From: M.-A. Lemburg [mailto:mal at egenix.com]
>> On 16.05.2013 14:18, Henshaw, Andy wrote:
>>> From: Stephen J. Turnbull [mailto:stephen at xemacs.org]
>>> Henshaw, Andy writes:
>>>
>>> But, Python only ships one sqlite module.  If there were two versions
>>> of the module and the developer needed to choose, then it would make
>>> sense.  Why isn't there a tkinter8 to indicate with which version of
>>> tcl/tk the module is designed to operate?  It seems like we're just
>>> propagating an awkward, vestigial, implementation detail for no good reason.
>
>> sqlite3 requires version 3.x of sqlite. It is not compatible with version 2.x
>> of sqlite due to API changes in sqlite, hence the version number in the name.
>
>> Here's the thread discussing the addition:
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-March/062905.html
>
> Interesting.  It appears that they took the first name suggested, although
> there were multiple suggestions of just "sqlite" variants (e.g., db.sqlite or
> database.sqlite).
>
> Really, this is not important enough to continue arguing about, so I intend
> that this will be my last post on the subject.  However, I don't think that my
> point has been addressed.  Python only ships one version of the module, so
> there is no important reason to append a version number to the module name.
> It's a convention not done for other modules that wrap libraries, excepting maybe
> bzip2(bz2) and MD5, but those are the formal names (according to Wikipedia), and
> it should be deprecated for sqlite.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough: the "3" in the name originates from
the SQLite library version. The Python module in the stdlib is
not compatible with SQLite version 2 and it's well possible that it
won't work with a future SQLite API version.

At the time, this was needed, since most systems by default had
SQLite version 2 installed. Too late to change now.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 16 2013)
2013-05-07: Released mxODBC Zope DA 2.1.2 ...     http://egenix.com/go46
2013-05-06: Released mxODBC 3.2.3 ...             http://egenix.com/go45

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/