[Python-ideas] shutil.trash()

Jonathan Eunice jonathan.eunice at gmail.com
Tue May 14 00:18:21 CEST 2013

Move-to-trash is a pretty common operation on Windows, Mac, and Linux (when
configured for GUI use). Such user-facing OSs account for hundreds of
millions or billions of systems.

That move-to-trash seems an odd operation compared to `os` is probably more
a reflection on how Unix-centric `os` is. `dup`, `dup2`, `chown`, and
`execv`? They go back at least to 6th or 7th Edition Unix in the mid-1970s.
The standard Python standard library should be able to express common
operations, and updating it to accommodate more recent idioms than POSIX
makes sense to me. `shutil` seems the natural home.

But practically speaking, `send2trash` doesn't seem complete enough to
promote. It seems to use different implementations for Python 2 and 3. I
didn't see an empty-trash API. It would need clear semantics in the case
that "the trashcan" is not available (e.g. Linux without desktop extensions
loaded). And testing is key. It would have to be robustly tested across
Python versions and implementations, as well as different OSs, OS versions,
and user environment frameworks, under both correct and error conditions.
If it were all these things, I can see a natural path into `shutil`. Until
then, PyPI is the natural home.

If the standard library could learn about the trash can, perhaps eventually
it could learn about the clipboard!