[Python-ideas] Implicit string literal concatenation considered harmful?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 12 07:10:26 CEST 2013

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Ron Adam <ron3200 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greg, I meant to send my reply earlier to the list.
>

> On 05/11/2013 12:39 AM, Greg Ewing wrote:
>>>
>>> Also, doesn't this imply that ... is now an operator in some contexts,
>>
>>  > but a literal in others?
>

> Could it's use as a literal be depreciated?  I haven't seen it used in that
> except in examples.

I take it you don't use Python for multi-dimensional array based
programming, then. The ellipsis literal was added at the request of
the numeric programming folks, so they had a notation for "all
remaining columns" in an index tuple, and it is still used for that
today. The only change related to this in Python 3 was to lift the
syntactic restriction that limited the literal form to container
subscripts. This change eliminated Python 2's discrepancy between
defining index tuples directly in the subscript and in saving them to
a variable first, or passing them as arguments to a function.

Cheers,
Nick.