[Python-ideas] PEP: Extended stat_result (First Draft)

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Mon May 6 20:08:05 CEST 2013

Am 06.05.2013 19:31, schrieb Pieter Nagel:
> On Mon, 2013-05-06 at 17:14 +0100, MRAB wrote:
>
>> Some of the names seem too long for me.
>
> Neither my nor your naming preference is relevant here, although I
> personally prefer long names over abbreviations - the time spent writing
> code in infinitesimal compared to the time reading, debugging, extending
> and maintaining it.
>
> But at issue here is which names fit with Guido's vision for the stdlib.
> PEP 8 says "All identifiers in the Python standard library... SHOULD use
> English words wherever feasible (in many cases, abbreviations and
> technical terms are used which aren't English)". This is a bit
> ambiguous, but I understand the parentheses to refer to a practice that
> Guido would like to stopped, by using English words instead.

This is one view, the other is that this is not important enough (and the
existing names not ugly enough) to introduce redundant names.  I already
don't like the different names as methods on stat_result, but this is a
completely new API so the confusion will be less (but still present).
I don't understand why os.path needs to be touched at all.

>> Do we really need 2 names for the same thing? No.
>
> So you said twice, but I can not do much with any feedback if it is
> expressed as a mere assertion.

When debating API design, personal preference (or call it "intuition about
what would be Pythonic") is a valid piece of feedback.

Georg