[Python-ideas] Thoughts on the future of concurrency in Python: PEP 3148

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 17 22:20:40 CET 2013

On 17/03/2013 21:06, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I actually want to de-emphasize the fact that Futures hold callbacks.
> I want people to think them as magic "wait points" that combine with
> "yield from" to return a pseudo-synchronous result. In fact, I want to
> altogether de-emphasize that async I/O is done under the hood using
> callbacks. Only implementers of async frameworks should need to know
> that, for the most part.

Hm, as someone who's had to get to grips with Twisted, I find it
frustrating and disorientating when I don't know how things work.  I
find that understanding what goes on under the hood is both helpful and
reassuring.  With great respect, Guido, something on the lines of [I
exaggerate to make the point clear, no offence intended] "The average
application programmer needn't trouble his pretty little head about
this" feels a bit patronising.
Rob Cliffe