[Python-ideas] Short form for keyword arguments and dicts

Anders Hovmöller boxed at killingar.net
Sat Jun 22 21:51:06 CEST 2013

Hmm, I wasn't aware that doing

class Foo:
   bar = bar

was even valid python, blech. But that's a pretty contrived example. I'm
not suggesting something huge and radical like totally redefining how
assignment works :P I'm just suggesting a small change that I believe would
have repercussions far above the weight class of the change itself. "It's
the little things" and all that.

> I'm not convinced either.
> I like the idea, but it's not that big a deal and I don't like your
> proposed implementation.

Well I think it is a big deal. I think Objective-C code bases are much
easier to maintain because they have a superior syntax for calling methods.
I don't like it when other languages do something as simple as calling
functions better than my otherwise favorite language :P

> There are so many more cases to cover and this doesn't fill them,

Like what? At least name one so we can have a discussion about it!

> nor it's original one nicely.

Ok. Why? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to know what the reasons
are so I can understand why I was mistaken so I can forget about this idea
:P

best regards,
Anders