[Python-ideas] Add "htmlcharrefreplace" error handler

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 15:20:33 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Amaury Forgeot d'Arc <amauryfa at gmail.com>
wrote:
> By the way, why is it necessary to register?
> Since an error handler is defined by its callback function,
> we could allow functions for the "errors" parameter.

+1

In fact, it is not necessary to register the codecs either.  We could allow
any namespace that defines CodecInfo attributes or a getregentry function.
 The users would them be able to write

from encodings import ascii
x.encode(ascii)

instead of x.encode("ascii").   The benefit is that most IDEs would provide
auto-completion and as you type error checking and the resulting program
will not have a hidden import masquerading as a builtin call.