[Python-ideas] Add "htmlcharrefreplace" error handler

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jun 14 11:38:46 CEST 2013

On 14.06.2013 10:49, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:44:09 +0200
> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO character references (named or numerical) should never be used in
>>> HTML (with the exception of " > and <).
>>> They exist mainly for three reasons:
>>> 1) provide a way to include characters that are not available in the
>>> used encoding (e.g. if you are using an obsolete encoding like
>>> windows-1252 but still want to use "fancy" characters);
>>> 2) to keep the HTML source ASCII-only;
>>
>> This is the main reason for using them. HTML's default encoding
>> is Latin-1, unlike XML.
>
> I'd like to know which good reasons there are to not use utf-8 for HTML
> pages in 2013.
> "Keeping the HTML source ASCII-only" is just silly IMO, and it doesn't
> warrant special support in Python's codec error handlers.

Ezio and I gave reasons, but you've cut them away ;-)

Note that error handlers can be registered in the codec registry.
You don't need to add support for them to each and every codec,
so the added code is minimal.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 14 2013)
2013-07-01: EuroPython 2013, Florence, Italy ...           17 days to go
2013-07-16: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                 32 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/