[Python-ideas] PEP 426, YAML in the stdlib and implementation discovery

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 5 13:18:20 CEST 2013

Andrew Barnert <abarnert at ...> writes:

> At any rate, if you're just correcting Vinay Sajip's raising of errors
> with PyYAML by pointing out that this isn't an error… well, that's true,
> but not for the reasons you gave.

I was pointing out that specific issue in response to Philipp A.'s assertion
that PyYAML, when parsing arbitrary JSON, "works flawlessly". According to
that issue, it doesn't - but whether it should or it shouldn't is a
different question.

Since we have JSON support in the stdlib already, I don't see why it's all
that important that a YAML implementation can parse arbitrary JSON (unless
it  claims YAML 1.2 compliance or one wants 1.2 compliance, of course). The
bulk of the open issues reported on the PyYAML.org tracker are related to
how it handles YAML, which is altogether more pertinent when considering it
as a potential candidate for stdlib inclusion.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip