[Python-ideas] PEP 426, YAML in the stdlib and implementation discovery

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 14:42:23 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 June 2013 12:26, Calvin Spealman <ironfroggy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> At this point I would argue against any new modules by default. How does
>> the cost and liability of yaml in the standard library make up for such a
>> ring benefit as excluding one little line from my requirements.txt?
>

> Windows users without compilers can't "just add one little line". IIRC,
> Windows users *with* compilers have to fiddle around with dependent
> libraries in a messy way. Users without compilers working on prerelease
> versions of Python can't find prebuilt binaries anyway. Corporate
> environments may not allow 3rd party libraries. Some environments require
> pure-python (non-stdlib) code. Etc, etc.

The proposal was about adding, explicitly, only a pure-python YAML library,
so the compiler and binary related arguments don't apply here. Also, the
fact that we don't have practical packaging solutions to this is something
that, hopefully, we'll fix and so I think, until then, adding new modules
should be scrutinized with the question: Are we just doing this to get
around packaging limitations?

New modules have a pretty high bar to adoption in any case. Let's not make
> it impossibly high by assuming (wrongly) that there are no difficulties
> involved in external dependencies.
>
> Paul.

http://techblog.ironfroggy.com/
Follow me if you're into that sort of thing:
http://www.twitter.com/ironfroggy